I am Nicolette Maaskant, 20 years old, born and raised in Houten and now living in Utrecht. I am a third year chemistry student at Utrecht university. For me, the beauty of chemistry lays in the explanation and discovery of things from the world of atoms and molecules. Besides studying chemistry I like to scuba dive and write. This year I am also busy with organising the PAC symposium. For me personally the symposium is broadening, deepening and binding. Different topics come together on a day where students and lecturers gather from all over the country (and even the world). To be a member of the board, together with six others, of the PAC Foundation is an amazing opportunity to contribute to all these great things.
I am looking forward to March 8th and hope to see you all there!
On behalf of the 24th Board of Directors of the PAC Foundation,
These are the rest of the board members for 2018:
- Eva Meeus, Secretary
- Jochem Paardekooper, Treasurer
- Sandrine Heijnen, Commissioner of Acquisition, Vise-Chairwoman
- Ferry Pronk, Commissioner Location & Logistics
- Ffion Steenvoorden, Commisioner Lecturers
- Tiemen van Daalen, Commissioner Website
Committee of Recommendation
Each year, Stichting PAC is supported by a Committee of Recommendation. Each member of this committee supports the foundation by associating his or her name to the symposium, hence allowing the symposium to enjoy a certain official and trustworthy status.
The Committee of Recommendation for the 24rd edition of the PAC-symposium is as follows:
- Prof. dr. Bert van der Zwaan, rector magnificus van de UU.
- Prof. dr. Floris Rutjes, voorzitter KNCV.
- Prof. dr. Emiel J.M. Hensen, bestuursvoorzitter NIOK.
- Prof. dr. Carel Stolker, rector magnificus van de universiteit Leiden.
- Prof. dr. Vinod Subramaniam, rector magnificus van de VU.
- Prof. dr. ir. Karen I.J. Maex, rector magnificus van de UvA.
- Prof. dr. Eelco T.C. Vogt, Albemarle catalyst company.
- Prof. dr. José van Dijck, president KNAW.
- Drs. Feike Sijbesma (CEO DSM).
- Prof. dr. Gerrit F.B.P. van Meer, bestuursvoorzitter C3
Scientific Advisory Board
Stichting PAC also receives support from a scientific advisory board, which consists of professors from different fields within chemistry, from the universities of Amsterdam, Utrecht and Leiden. Members of this board recommend certain lecturers and help with certain applications for funding. Also, a couple of members will probably be chairmen during the day.
The Scientific Advisory Board for the 24th edition of the PAC-symposium is as follows:
- Dhr. prof. dr. J.N.H. Reek, Universiteit van Amsterdam
- prof. dr. P.E. de Jongh, Universiteit Utrecht
- prof. dr. Ger Pruijn, Radboud Universiteit
- dr. N.I. Martin, Universiteit Utrecht
- dr. M.C. Feiters, Radboud Universiteit
The board of the PAC foundation is formed by students of four participating study associations. But who are they? Below you will find a short introduction about them in alphabetical order.
Amsterdams Chemisch Dispuut (ACD)
ACD has offered fun and support to chemistry students at the Universiteit van Amsterdan (UvA) and the Vrije Universiteit (VU) since 1945. With 343 members, of which one sixth active members, divided over fifteen different commissions, a personal song and their recurring AciD, Amsterdams Chemisch Dispuut stands strong in the dutch capital.
Chemisch Dispuut Leiden (CDL)
As the oldest of the four study associations, CDL was founded in 1926. With many activities, like supporting students or visiting companies, the CDL has a rich history (they even got a time-line on their website). Their students study Molecular Science and Technology, which is a synonym for Chemistry in Leiden. Their periodically newspaper is called Chimica Acta Lugduni.
Utrechtste Scheikundige Studentenvereniging ˈProtonˈ (U.S.S. Proton)
Originated from a collaboration between a book sales programme and a periodical magazine, Proton has stood side by side with chemistry and molecular life sciences students from Utrecht since 1986. The 380 members can enjoy themselves by reading De ˈChemograaphˈ, a total of three ˈProtonˈ songs, and a ton of activities.
Vereniging van ChemieStudenten aan de Vrije Universiteit (VCSVU)
Translated it is called; association of chemistry students at the Vrije Universiteit (Amsterdam). It was founded in 1964 and it supports the chemistry, but now mostly the pharmaceutical science students at the VU. This is because since 2014, chemistry students now go to the other study association in Amsterdam, namely ACD. People stay up-to-date here by reading the ˈPapieren Bindingˈ.